Tuesday, March 23, 2010

To Live as a Prince

"Who can be compared with the LORD our God, who is enthroned on high?
Far below him are the heavens and the earth.
He stoops to look, and he lifts the poor from the dirt
and the needy from the garbage dump.
He sets them among princes, even the princes of his own people!"
(Psalm 113:5-8)

I love the story of Mephibosheth (2 Samuel 9). God used this story in my life just over three years ago to completely change my heart toward adoption. For a long time, I had thought that adoption was great for other people, but I would never choose to adopt a child myself.

Because of the covenant that David had made with Jonathan to care for his family (1 Samuel 20:42), David sought to find out if there was anyone still alive from Jonathan's family whom he could show kindness to. He discovered that Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth, was still alive, so David had him brought to the palace.

In one instant, in King David's presence, a fearful "dead dog" of a crippled man became a prince, to dine forever at the king's table just like his other sons!

God used this passage to open my eyes and see the great gift of a family and a home we could give to an orphan who has no family. He allowed me to see that He has blessed our family with an abundance of love that can overflow to bless more children. He took my eyes off of myself and my fears about all the unknowns of adoption and put my focus on the blessing we could be to an orphan. What a privilege adoption truly is!

So, our family started started the adoption process in March of 2007, and three years later, we're still waiting! Almost two years ago, God gave us the desire to pray for two siblings from Gansu province in western China, so we changed our application request. We are hoping and trusting that the LORD does a miracle in bringing these two siblings into our home. We would love for you to pray with us too!

1 comment:

  1. I was struck yesterday as we were reading 1 Samuel 2: 7-8, of the striking similarities to Psalm 113:5-8. Hannah praised the LORD when she took Samuel to dedicate him at the Tabernacle: "The LORD makes one poor and another rich; he brings one down and lifts another up. He lifts up the poor from the dust--yes, from a pile of ashes! He treats them like princes, placing them in seats of honor..."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...