Friday, September 17, 2010

Mirrored Reflection

This fall, we have been reading through and discussing a book written by three siblings, called Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends. The great insights and examples in this book have helped us to evaluate what some of the root problems are in our family conflicts. I have been pretty quick to point out specific areas of sin and the lack of humility that I can clearly see in our children's lives. However, I have been greatly humbled this week to recognize that the exact same sins are in my own life as well. At the breakfast table yesterday, for example, the room suddenly grew quiet, and it seemed that a spotlight was shining on the bad attitude in my heart. I was exposed, with nothing to hide behind, and my selfishness was not a pretty sight.

The sad thing is that I had woken up early to finish reading The Hiding Place. As the time drew near for breakfast, I grudgingly moved from the couch to the kitchen, hoping that I could continue to read while I fixed pancakes (but that didn't work so well). I had been convicted on almost every page by Corrie Ten Boom and her sister Betsie's selfless hearts while in concentration camps during WWII. And here I was, selfishly wanting to finish the book instead of fixing breakfast for my family (and our two little guests). In contrast to the two sisters' compassionate giving and ministry in the midst of their incredible suffering, my elevating my rights above others' made me realize that I have a long way to go in the area of humility!

Charly and I chose the passage on humility from Philippians 2 to be read at our wedding 16 years ago. And how I long for it to be true now, not just in the lives of my children, but in my own life as well:

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,
but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Each of you should look not only to your own interests,
but also to the interests of others.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!
Philippians 2:3-8


May my reflection grow to be more and more like Christ, in His humility and obedience, as I put my own rights to death.

3 comments:

  1. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Jodie,

    reading what you wrote here about humility, made me realize how far i have to go too. (sigh)

    thank you so much for watching our kids that day. they came back and talked about the "yummy pancakes that auntie Jodie made".

    olga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, Thanks for your continual encouragement! I really do appreciate your affirmation and your comments.

    Olga, I hope that your kids were small enough to not to see my glaring selfishness that morning (and I'm glad they liked the pancakes!). Its the question of, "Mommy, do you have a headache?" that makes me realize others are noticing my lack of grace in how I respond to things not "going my way." And when I don't have a headache (like that morning), there is no excuse to hide behind. My headaches can make the selfishness more understandable (but still not excusable!)

    Let us grow in humility together!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...