Thursday, September 30, 2010

Trust Me to Carry it For You

Corrie Ten Boom had a very wise father. When she was 10 or 11, and she asked him a difficult question, he answered her with a question. Could she carry his heavy traveling case off the train? She told him that she couldn’t because it was too heavy for her.

“Yes,” he said, “And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It’s the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.”
And I was satisfied. More than satisfied—wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and to all my hard questions—for now I was content to leave them in my father’s keeping. (p. 31)

Many years later, Corrie was questioned by a Nazi officer who challenged how she could hold onto her faith after she had learned that her father died after being abandoned and left unidentified in a hospital corridor only ten days after arriving at the prison camp.

The officer asked her, “What kind of God would have let that old man die here at Sveneningen?”

I did not understand a great deal. And suddenly I was thinking of Father’s own answer to hard questions: “Some knowledge is too heavy for you…you cannot bear it …your Father will carry it until you are able.” (p. 150)

After being transferred to Ravensbruk concentration camp, Corrie and her sister Betsie had to live right next to the punishment barracks, where they had to endure the sounds of every torture and suffering cry of their fellow prisoners.

It grew harder and harder. Even within these four walls, there was too much misery, too much seemingly pointless suffering. Every day something else failed to make sense, something else grew too heavy.

Will you carry this too, Lord Jesus?” (p. 177)


My desire is to be satisfied and at peace in what I can’t understand or make sense of, like Corrie Ten Boom describes in The Hiding Place. I want to entrust those things that are too heavy for me to my Father who knows all the answers, and is more than willing and able to carry the burden for me.

The quotes here and from my last two posts: "More Than Conquerors" and "A Deeper Love" come from the 25th Anniversary Edition of The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill), published by Chosen Books, 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...