Monday, May 20, 2013

In His Steps

Joshua gave me permission to share his personal application from one of the books he read recently.
           
The intriguing question raised by Charles Sheldon in his book, In His Steps, challenges each of his readers to consider what Jesus would do if he was in their shoes. While we often quote the phrase ‘What would Jesus do?’ seldom do we ever seriously consider modeling our lives after this powerful question or do we realize how drastically our lives would change if we did.

One practical example of how I believe I could apply this question to my life is to take to heart Jesus’ command to his disciples after having washed their feet, “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”(John 13: 13-15)

This charge by Jesus to his disciples to be servants to all, stooping even so low as to wash peoples’ feet, resonates with me as a way to be a blessing to others. In the village, I have been provided with ample opportunity to put this into practice, as the culture here assigns the task of serving to the family’s youngest son. By being able to bless others through such acts as serving at village festivals and pouring tea for guests at our home, I believe I am beginning to slowly incorporate the important question discussed earlier into my daily life as I strive to follow His example!





 (Pictures of Joshua serving at our host family’s Memorial Festival, commemorating 3 years since the death of our host’s first wife, for about 100 people on Saturday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...