Saturday, July 20, 2013

My Husband, My Hero


We witnessed God moving adoption mountains for us last week! On Monday we got the almost unbelievable news that there are two boys in Gansu province that we could adopt together. It seemed that they just appeared out of nowhere.

One of the verses that God deeply impressed on Charly’s heart in April of 2008, when we first believed that He was asking us to pray for two from Gansu, was Romans 4:17: “Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who brings into existence what didn’t exist before.” (NLT)

Amazingly, God seemed to do just that on Monday. To bring into existence what didn’t exist before.

In the 5 years of our waiting on this specific request, there have not been two children from Gansu province available for international adoption. And during the previous three weeks of Charly’s constant checking there had still been no options for us. We were at a difficult and painful crossroads. How long to keep waiting for a miracle? 

Last Friday, I felt I couldn’t wait anymore and fell into a pit of despair. I had been wanting to wait well, and doing my best to make it to Friday, when we had planned to make a decision. But Friday still didn’t bring the news we were waiting for, and the thought of going into another weekend still living in limbo simply crushed me. It seemed to me that we were just postponing the inevitable. The miracle wasn’t coming. Would we give up the opportunity to adopt altogether because our paperwork would expire before we could complete a different adoption?

But Charly did not have peace that God had clearly closed the Door of a Gansu miracle. The person doing the final check for us had not yet given a definite “no” which meant it was still possible. So we would keep waiting.

As I walked along the Yellow River and poured out my frustration and grief to God that Friday, I reached a point where my soul was quiet enough to hear His voice, “What if Charly is doing exactly what I want him to do? What if this other option you’ve been offered is not the right match for you? What if I want you to accept this delay and trust My best for you?”

There by the river, I saw a wonderful, powerful statue of a man with great strength rowing a boat and a woman behind him looking ahead and trusting in his lead. And my heart said, “Charly really is doing his best to lead our family. I do want to trust him and ultimately you, God, on this journey.”

On Monday when we got the incredible news that there were two boys in Gansu that we could adopt, I was reminded of God’s “What if” questions to me. And His answer with this Gansu miracle. He opened the door that I doubted He would open. And I knew that if it had been up to me, I wouldn’t have waited this long to see Him open it. So thankful for the steadfast faith of my husband. For God's faithfulness to our family.

And then we got heartbreaking news that we actually couldn’t adopt these boys. There were complications. It would be better to just forget about them and take another match.

But how could we take another match when God had done this miracle for us? All five of us felt strongly that we should fight for these boys. God would make a way where there seemed to be no way. He had already moved mountains for us, and He could achieve even greater glory for Himself by moving even more.

It is such a different kind of waiting for me now that I know these two boys are out there. They are no longer a vapor, a dream, a possibility. But a reality. I can wait and pray and fight for them. And not worry about our time running out. Because God has shown us that He is in control. And that we are walking in the steps He has for us. I can trust Him so much more easily in this kind of wait.

Which is why I so greatly admire the faith of my husband who was able to patiently wait on God while these boys were still unknown to us. When they were invisible. To refuse to move on to another option until God had clearly closed the door. And given him peace.

I am also in awe of Charly’s tremendous persistence this past week. He has not stopped making phone calls and writing emails. Trying different avenues. Presenting our case. Pleading for help. Fighting to bring these boys into our family.

He is a real hero.

And this is what I want to tell these two boys, who we hope will soon become our sons: “Your Dad refused to give up hope that you existed and he refused to give up fighting for you. Your Dad continued to believe that you were out there as we kept praying for a miracle. He wanted to keep waiting to find out about you until the last possible minute and God rewarded his faith. What an amazing Dad you have who has so much to teach you about the God of Abraham.”

There are still big mountains yet to move in order for our adoption of these boys to be completed by August 15. And we’d love it if you would join with us in prayer!

Another verse that encouraged us as we started to pray for two from Gansu in 2008:
But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed.” (Habakkuk 2:3, NLT)

God’s timing. Not ours.
May He receive all the glory.


2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate - both of our adoptions brought out a kind of intentionality, leadership, direction, and driven-ness that is not typical of my hubby's laid back, easy going nature. I often joke that being behind the wheel of a car makes him a different personality. But pursuiing our daughters is really what did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I enjoyed visiting your blog and learning more about your journey. God bless you as you raise your precious children who will one day rise up and call you blessed.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...