Wednesday, June 25, 2014

from Psalm 91



A friend shared Psalm 91 with me while we were in Tianjin during the last two weeks. After we got back home to Lanzhou yesterday I took some time to reflect on this psalm with our Webster's dictionary. Here is my prayer:


Father, help me to dwell (make my home/reside/live) in Your shelter (Your protection from the elements and from danger). I want to rest (be relieved from whatever in my life is distressing, annoying or tiring as I find my peace of mind, mental/emotional calm, and tranquility through being still and refreshed) in Your shadow. You are the Almighty (One with unlimited power).

You are my refuge (my place of safety, help, and comfort, my safe retreat, and my protection from danger or difficulty). You will cover me (conceal, blanket, keep me from harm or injury by shielding). Your faithfulness (continued steadfast adherence to me, constant allegiance) will be my shield (what guards, protects and defends me, warding off any blows or missiles).

I will not fear (feel anxious or agitated by the presence or nearness of danger/evil/pain) the terror of the night (overwhelming, paralyzing fear, dread felt in anticipating something dangerous or disagreeable). I choose to make the Most High my dwelling (my place to live/reside/abide). You will command Your angels to guard me (keep me safe from harm, watch over and protect me, keep me from trouble).

God, these are Your promises to me:

You will rescue me (free or save me from danger, imprisonment, evil, provide my release from captivity and my freedom from bondage).

You will protect me (shield me from injury, danger, or loss; guard and defend me).

You will answer me (respond to me appropriately).

You will be with me (alongside of me, near to me, in support of me, on my side) in trouble (state of mental distress/worry, state of misfortune, calamity, mishap, or a distressing/difficult situation).

You will deliver me (set me free from confinement or from a restricting situation).

You will honor me (regard highly and esteem).

You will satisfy me (to completely fulfill my needs, expectations, wishes, desires; to free me from doubt/anxiety; to be adequate and sufficient; to fill my requirements to the degree that I am not disturbed by a desire for something more or different).

You will show me Your salvation (my being saved from danger, evil, difficulty, destruction; my spiritual rescue from the consequences of sin; my redemption).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...