Friday, March 20, 2015

A Time for Everything

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.”
(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk, along the Yellow River and in a nearby park, looking for signs of spring. I saw new life in beautiful buds and blossoms, as well as death in ugly brown leaves still stubbornly clinging to the vines and branches.

And I thought how much I wanted to get rid of all of the dead so as to make room for the new life that was trying to grow. What needs to die in me, Lord? What do I need to get rid of in my heart in order to give room for Your new life to grow?

As we are in the process of going through all of our stuff and deciding what to keep and what to give or throw away, I find myself looking forward to the end result: a simplifying of life, being left with only what we really need, decluttered. To be able to enter a season where we hope to see God bring new life, a time for us to hopefully be renewed.

Last weekend I went on a search for potting soil as David had an assignment to take a pot with planted flower seeds to school. I finally found a little stall at the very end of the road. And while I was there, I fell in love with the color of this plant so I bought it too. Yesterday it looked like the plant was dying (there were only 2 blossoms left) and we all felt sad that I'd killed a plant so quickly. But today there were lots of new blossoms. And so we realized that death and life were happening in the same plant. 


A time for everything. Everything in its time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...