Wednesday, March 4, 2015

His Eyes are Always on Us

One afternoon last week, Jordan was playing in the hotel swimming pool with Daniel. He was wearing his orange inflatable Thomas the Tank Engine ring and wanted to venture into the deep end. As the two of them were heading back toward the shallow end, Daniel impulsively decided to take his ring off because he had become very comfortable in the water and felt that he could swim. Jordan was in front of him and someone from across the pool had just called her name, so her attention was diverted. But a man happened to be watching from his lounge chair and immediately jumped in when Daniel went down into the deep water and didn't come back up. 


God's eyes are always on us.

In that brief moment which could have been a tragedy, God used a stranger to provide the rescue.

As I thanked God for His mercy, I was reminded of a post I wrote, A Cry for Rescue, after we found out about Daniel (Hua Ming An)'s encephalitis. When our adoption file had just been locked with his and David (Ding Yi Fan)'s files in September 2013. This is part of what I wrote in that post:

The waves of death surrounded me;
The floods of destruction swept over me.
The grave wrapped its ropes around me;
Death itself stared me in the face.
But in my distress I cried out to the Lord;
Yes, I called to my God for help.
He heard me from his sanctuary;
My cry reached his ears.

He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
He drew me out of deep waters.
He delivered me from my powerful enemies,
From those who hated me and were too strong for me.
They attacked me at a moment when I was weakest,
But the Lord upheld me.
(2 Samuel 22: 5-7, 17-19)

During the time that our family first sensed God putting on our hearts the desire to ask Him for two siblings from Gansu province. I had a dream of a child drowning in deep, dark waters and strong hands appeared to lift that child out to safety. The next morning I read this passage of rescue in 2 Samuel and wrote in the margin of my Bible: 3/31/08-adoption dream.

Last Thursday, two days after our adoption file got “locked” with Ding Yi Fan and Hua Ming An, we received news that Hua Ming An was in the hospital. He had suffered from a sudden and severe brain infection, and had been in a coma for 6 days with high fever and frequent seizures. But there had been improvement the past two days: his fever was down, he was “awake” and there was some movement in his arms and legs.

I remembered this 2 Samuel passage and my dream of a drowning child being rescued. I thought about Hua Ming An in the deep waters of a coma and how God had already reached down from heaven and pulled him from death to life. And over the course of the past three days, since we have been able to visit Hua Ming An in the hospital—seeing him with his eyes open but not responding to what is going on around him—it has been my heart’s cry that God would continue to draw him out of the deep waters he is still in, to bring him back to full consciousness. A cry for rescue.

His sweet little body is on that hospital bed, but so many of his functions have been lost. As we cry out to God, we believe that He can completely restore Hua Ming An—just like He called Lazarus out of the grave when he had been dead for 4 days—but we don’t know yet if that is His plan. Waiting to see how much of him will God bring back to life.”

*************************************************************************************************************

That rocky time in our lives seems so long ago now. As we look back, we can see how God's perfect plan has unfolded for Daniel these past 1 1 /2 years. God graciously restored many of the major functions that he had lost and miraculously healed him from his athetoid movement disorder (which baffled our pediatric neurologist last year because according to the patches of damage scattered throughout his brain MRI, he should still have the movement disorder).

Depending on our perspective, we can choose to be thankful for all that God has done in Daniel's life. Or we can feel discouraged over the effects of his lasting brain damage and worry about whether he will ever become an independent adult. God's rescue of Daniel last week was a powerful reminder to me that God has a plan for Daniel's life that is good. His strong hands of mercy once again rescued Daniel from the deep waters. Our sovereign God is a God who never turns His head away. Even for a moment.

His eyes are always on us.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey Jodie. I'm grateful with you for strong hands that help when we need them most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging comment, Mike! Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...