Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I Want to Be With My King

Mephibosheth is one of my favorite characters in the Bible. His transformation from a “dead dog” to a prince in King David's palace (2 Samuel 9) is the passage that God used to change my heart about adoption in 2007.

In John Piper's ebook Disability and the Sovereign Goodness of God, John Knight beautifully highlights a later scene in Mephibosheth's life when David returns to Jerusalem. David had believed his servant Ziba's earlier lie about Mephibosheth's intentions for staying behind (2 Samuel 16: 1-4) and confronts Mephibosheth on his motives:

“Mephibosheth is lied about. David has to make in his human assumption: 'I don't know who's right here. I'll give half to the guy who's lying about you and half to you.' And Mephibosheth says, 'Let him have it all. I'm with my king.' I look at that and say, that's what I want to be like. I want to be with my king, my king who has done everything for me. I don't need anything else.” (from 2 Samuel 19: 24-30)

When I look at Mephibosheth's response in this passage, that's what I want too. I want to be with my king. You can take everything else. Because nothing else really matters.

And I think that disability helps to bring that perspective: Humility and a clear sense of what's important.

Mephibosheth declares, “All my grandfather's descendants deserved nothing but death from my lord the king, but you gave your servant a place among those who sat at your table.” (2 Samuel 19:28)

And all I really want in life is to be with you at your table.

David running during a treasure hunt for Joshua's birthday last year


About the blind man whose sight was restored in John 9, Piper writes, “This blind man becomes clearer and clearer about who Jesus is. And he becomes stronger and stronger in his courage in defending Jesus against very dangerous adversaries. This is what Jesus was after: clear sight of who he was, courageous confession of faith, and worship.”

The question is Who can really see?

See that what's most important in life is to be with the king. And to worship Him.

David took this picture of Daniel climbing steps on a hike last fall

Piper writes, “Jesus says that the purpose of the blindness is to put the work of God on display. This means that for our suffering to have ultimate meaning, God must be supremely valuable to us. More valuable than health and life. Many things in the Bible make no sense until God becomes your supreme value.”

Can we see that being with the king is more important than an earthly kingdom?

More important than good health.

More important than a perfect body.

More important than a sharp mind.

God, give me eyes to really see. And a heart to really worship You.

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; 
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.” (Psalm 84:10)

This is one of my favorite songs "Here in Your Presence":




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...