Friday, March 27, 2015

Transition

Yesterday was my last day of teaching English at Daniel's kindergarten. We made the decision last week to keep him home for the next 2 plus months. Some issues had come up with his behavior at school, and we didn't feel that the environment there was the best fit for him anymore.

I will miss the cute kids and their expressed excitement over seeing me on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I will miss seeing their eagerness to learn and being able to help them make progress in their English. I will not miss those times when the class of 45 turned into chaos, and it was obvious that no one could hear my not-very-loud-even-when-I-try voice. When I was more than halfway through singing “If You're Happy and You Know It” before anyone realized it, and I wondered why I was singing such a silly song when I was not happy and my face was surely showing how I really felt.

some of the kindergarteners enjoying Christmas cookies

This past month I had started teaching Daniel's 4-5 year old class in addition to the 5-6 year old class. His class has only 25 students, who are just as cute. And just as loud. The traditional Chinese education method is to repeat after the teacher and answer in unison. Unfortunately these sweet kids really liked to shout out the answer together as loud as they could. And my attempts to lower the volume by putting my finger over my mouth were in vain. Have I ever mentioned that I don't like loud noise? 

Daniel passing out Christmas cookies to his class

I took Daniel with me yesterday when I taught my last two classes, and he was happy to say goodbye to his classmates and teachers. As we walked back home he excitedly asked about going to school in America. “我可以上一年级吗?” I'll get to be in first grade? with a huge smile on his face.

He's been doing better with English learning at home than he was last fall, and we think this will be a good window of time for him to focus on English before we move back to the US.

Daniel working on opposites

 In this time of transition, we're asking for God's deep peace to be present in each of our lives.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...