Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Is This The Way You Pray?

 I can really relate to this prayer. Can you?

 
O God, I plead with you to enable me to learn patience,
but do not allow me to encounter provoking circumstances!
Enable me to be meek, but do not allow people to arouse my anger!
Enable me to grow humble, but do not allow people to despise me!
Enable me to love my enemies, but do not allow people to become hostile toward me!
Enable me to forgive people, but do not allow people to offend me!
Enable me to be willing to give way, but do not allow people to attack me!
Enable me to be courageous, but do not allow me to encounter difficulties and dangers!
Enable me to be diligent, but do not give me vexatious work!
Enable me to be faithful, but do not trust me with heavy responsibilities!
Purge away the dross, but do not allow me to pass through the fire!
Enable me to be an overcomer, but do not allow me to be attacked by Satan!
Enable me to endure persecution, but do not allow people to revile me or oppose me!
Enable me to be willing to deny myself for others, like the Lord Jesus denied Himself,
but do not allow me to suffer loss!
Enable me not to love the world, but do not take away my reputation or my wealth or my friends!
Enable me to recognize more of my own faults and failings,
but do not allow anyone to point them out or to rebuke me for them!
Enable me to be obedient unto death, like the Lord Jesus,
but do not allow me to experience the cross!

by Wang Mingdao
in Strength for the Storm (an OMF book, translated by Arthur Reynolds 1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...