Saturday, August 22, 2015

Let the Weary Rest



“The Ragamuffin Gospel was written for the bedraggled, beat-up, and burnt-out.
It is for the sorely burdened who are still shifting the heavy suitcase from one hand to the other.
It is for the wobbly and weak-kneed who know they don’t have it altogether
and are too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace.
It is for inconsistent, unsteady disciples whose cheese is falling off their cracker.
It is for poor, weak, sinful men and women with hereditary faults and limited talents.
It is for earthen vessels who shuffle along on feet of clay.
It is for the bent and the bruised who feel that their lives are a grave disappointment to God.
It is for smart people who know they are stupid and honest disciples who admit they are scalawags.
The Ragamuffin Gospel is a book I wrote for myself and anyone who has grown weary and discouraged along the Way.”

I discovered The Ragamuffin Gospel on the shelf of the home we are renting, and after the first few pages I found myself imagining how great it would be to camp out in this book all year. What a compelling introduction Brennan Manning wrote to his book, with the subtitle "Embracing the Unconditional Love of God." I especially love the part about the cheese falling off the cracker. That’s a perfect description of me.

These wonderfully-woven words of God’s unmerited grace meet me right where I am. And I just want to linger here and take it all in during this uninterrupted pause. While our big boys are at college and our little boys are in elementary school. And our daughter-in-the-middle is taking community college classes...I won’t be home schooling. 

God has given me what feels like the almost-too-good-to-be-true gift of time to drink deeply of Colorado's clean air, beautiful mountains and ever-changing skies. 


I don't need to keep shifting the heavy suitcase from one hand to the other. Now there is time to set it down. 


Charly and I have been to several conferences this summer, related to our transition from China to the US for this season of time. And we have heard more than once “You are probably more tired than you think you are.” 

So thankful for God's provision for our family:




This is the resting place, let the weary rest.” (Isaiah 28:12a)


 

2 comments:

  1. Love it Jodie! Would love some suggestions of transition retreats. We are out of Shanghai on October 2, will fly to Vancouver and then have a big question mark after that. Looking into the best debrief experiences for us as well. Kathryn.m.evans@gmail.com. So glad you are camping out in Brennan Manning:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, Hope your family's last months in SH are your best China months yet! And I hope that we can connect in person when you get to the US. I'll email you about the debrief resources I have.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...