Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pause for Gratitude

“Our life is not a problem to be solved; it is a gift to be opened. The color of the sky, the song of a bird, a word of kindness, a strain of music, the sun on our face, the companionship of friends, the taste of sea air, the shape of clouds in summer, the reds of maples in fall—there are so many gifts in a single life. If we are preoccupied with what is missing and what is broken and wrong, we lose the miraculous harvest of all these tiny gifts, piled one upon the other, that accumulate without our acknowledging them.” (Wayne Muller, How, Then, Shall We Live?)


“When we begin to enjoy all that we already have instead of focusing on what we don't have, we move toward contentment. We become people who are more content when we stop, rest, play, because in those things, we find great freedom. We discover that like a loving parent, God revels in the joy of his children. We are unconditionally loved by God even when we are not working or producing.” (Keri Wyatt Kent, Rest: Living in Sabbath Simplicity


“The real issue is whether we can learn to see, and then welcome, the divine presence wherever we are.” (Norman Wirzba, Living the Sabbath


"The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets. From Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth." (Psalm 50:1-2)


"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10)

When you take time to pause, how does God open the eyes of your heart to see and appreciate His blessings in your life? 


6 comments:

  1. What a great reminder. I love the quote at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Tamika. I really like that quote too. It was in Keri Wyatt Kent's book Rest. I would like to find Wayne Muller's book and read it all.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quotes and verses. Pausing for gratitude... I think that is is the key to life's melody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great way to say it, Danielle. "the key to life's melody." Hope you are finding the space to pause for gratitude these days (maybe on the monkey bars!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added all those books to my "to read" list! The idea of rest and Sabbath have been on my mind a lot lately (especially in this season of business as a mom to little ones), so I look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, it has been so great to have the library as a place to find books of real encouragement. I just got Laura Story's new book yesterday and it's hard to put down! I'm at the part where she is in demand to be on stage: "every night that I took the stage, I'd cry out some version of this prayer: oh God, this is too much! This is too big for me. What do I possibly have to offer them? And every night, he responded in my heart with the same one-word answer. Me." I think about that with your desire to work sabbath rest into your life with little ones where it might seem almost impossible on some days. But I think with the heart of the sabbath we can take it wherever we are. Because we always have God with us.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...