Monday, April 4, 2016

What If?

What if Jesus' presence was enough, not his calming the storm?
What if the disciples decided to lie down and sleep with Him in the boat?
What if instead of panicking they stayed calm?
What if fear didn't choke out their faith?

Without warning, a furious storm swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We're going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
(Matthew 8:24-26)


What if the storm going on in my life makes me feel like I'm going to drown?
What if Jesus doesn't seem to care or act when He could?
What if Jesus' sleeping presence could meet my deepest need right now?
What if He's asking me to trust, with the little faith I have, that He is enough?

What if?


(Linking up with Velvet Ashes this week on the theme of What If?)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jodie! I almost missed your post but decided to go back to the link-up several days later and there it was! These lines hit me " What if Jesus' sleeping presence could meet my deepest need right now?
    What if He's asking me to trust, with the little faith I have, that He is enough?"...
    interesting thought that even when He seems to be asleep, even the very fact of His sleeping presence can meet my deepest need - even when He's not acting - just...there. The fact of Him BEING THERE is enough - if something NEEDS dealing with, He'll do it, but...His presence there is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Michele. At church on Sunday the pastor asked us to think about what our fixed point was and the image that came to mind was Jesus in the boat in the storm. And the question Can I trust that His presence with me is enough, even when He's sleeping?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...