Saturday, June 18, 2016

Shuffling the Stuff

We are doing it again.
Sorting.
Packing.
Storing.
Moving.


And I wonder why we have so much stuff.
And where all this stuff came from.
And which box to pack this thing in.
And if it goes there, will I ever be able to find it again?

And I'm feeling thankful that after a few days of crazy chaos, it's now mostly done.
And I can sit here and rest in this quiet-clean-much-less-cluttered house for a few hours.
And have time to grieve the comfort and stability we had here for almost 11 months.
And try to prepare myself for the next two months of a busy summer schedule.

And soak in gratefulness that God always provides what we need when we need it.
He provided this beautiful furnished home for us in a great location.
He provided a friend to help us pack up three van loads of stuff, to store in his garage for two months.
And He generously provided the house of friends who are out of town for us to have a place to live for the next four weeks.

I was just reading what I wrote last year about our move from Lanzhou back to the US:


He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
(Psalm 23:2-3a) So much of my desire is expressed in this verse: God leading us to a place of natural beauty, so we can breathe deeply and sit beside quiet waters. For real rest and restoration of our souls.

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.”

It's amazing to think that God has done exactly that over this past year. Allowed us to breathe deeply and to find rest for our souls.

Just as Joshua was Surrounded in prayer at his graduation last year, so God surrounded our whole family with His presence and His goodness:


“God has surrounded us in every way, hemming us in behind and before. These past two weeks in the US, Charly, David, Daniel and I have been staying with my parents, which has been the perfect safety net for us to fall into...

We are so grateful for the ways that God has surrounded and sustained our family as we've been in different parts of the world.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10

Last year when Charly and I celebrated 21 Years of marriage, a friend shared with us Michael W Smith's song Sovereign Over Us:


There is strength within the sorrow
There is beauty in our tears
And You meet us in our mourning
With a love that casts out fear
You are working in our waiting
You're sanctifying us
When beyond our understanding
You're teaching us to trust

Your plans are still to prosper
You have not forgotten us
You're with us in the fire and the flood
You're faithful forever
Perfect in love
You are sovereign over us

Reflecting on the bigger picture right now helps me to put all the stuff we've had to shuffle into a better perspective.

He is Sovereign over the Stuff as well.



2 comments:

  1. "Sovereign over the Stuff" - good reminder to me as we are still getting our "stuff" figured out again here.... :) Glad He cares, even about our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, Yes. I'm thankful for all the ways that He cares about our stuff. As we are still living out of boxes and suitcases! Hope you can feel settled in your new place soon :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...