Monday, June 27, 2016

Upstairs and Downstairs

Yesterday David picked out the book Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel, and as he read to me I felt like I was revisiting an old friend. I smiled as I pulled out those tucked-away fond memories of Owl when my three bigs were little. He's such a humorous, endearing character in the chapters of The Guest, Strange Bumps, Tear-Water Tea, and Owl and the Moon. But my favorite chapter has to be Upstairs and Downstairs...

Owl's house had an upstairs and a downstairs. There were twenty steps on the stairway. Some of the time Owl was upstairs in his bedroom. At other times Owl was downstairs in his living room.

When Owl was downstairs he said, “I wonder how my upstairs is?” When Owl was upstairs he said, “I wonder how my downstairs is getting along? I am always missing one place or the other. There must be a way,” said Owl, “to be upstairs and to be downstairs at the same time.”


Does this struggle of being torn between two places resonate with you too?  Is there any way possible to live in two places at one time? This is what Owl tried...

Perhaps if I run very very fast, I can be in both places at once.” Owl ran up the stairs. “I am up,” he said. Owl ran down the stairs. “I am down,” he said.

Owl ran up and down the stairs faster and faster. “Owl!” he cried. “Are you downstairs?” There was no answer. “No,” said Owl. “I am not downstairs because I am upstairs. I am not running fast enough.”

Owl!” he shouted. “Are you upstairs?” There was no answer. “No,” said Owl. “I am not upstairs because I am downstairs. I must run even faster.”

Faster, faster, faster!” cried Owl. Owl ran upstairs and downstairs all evening. But he could not be in both places at once.

What ways have you tried to live in two places? Can you stretch yourself far enough or run back and forth fast enough? Sometimes all the effort and exhaustion brings us to a simple realization:

When I am up,” said Owl, “I am not down. When I am down I am not up. All I am is very tired!” Owl sat down to rest. He sat on the tenth step because it was a place that was right in the middle.

I envision this middle step as looking out the window over the Pacific Ocean, in flight between China and America. Where is the place in the middle for you? How do you balance your life between two worlds?


(Linking up with Velvet Ashes this week on the theme of Read

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love that Owl story! Thanks for sharing this contemplation on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know it resonated with you, Elizabeth :)

      Delete
  2. "All I am is very tired." Such wisdom in kids books, isn't there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So much wisdom packed in that simple sentence

      Delete
  3. wow I love how you engage us in the process of what it's like to try to be in two places, I am not sure I've truly found balance yet but I am working on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Davis Family. I don't think I've found the right balance yet either. Hope that during your time back in the U.S. you discover God meeting you exactly where you are.

      Delete
  4. oh, wow, yes. We used to stop over in Frankfort (overnight) when traveling between our two worlds - I called it our "wood between the worlds" - sometimes I think it was the only place we - or at least I - really came to 'rest'. But then, in the "wood between the worlds" nothing happens, except the trees keep growing - and you can't live there forever, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, that's a great way to describe it. Isn't that idea in the Narnia series as well? Sometimes I think that sharing memories in one place with people from the other place can help to merge the two worlds together.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...