Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Gift of Advent

We pressed pause this week. And lit some candles after dessert with our Grace Group. As we soaked in the peaceful silence of the candlelight, a sense of calmness settled over the table. And our souls found space to rest. 

An Advent gift from God. 


We talked about Light/Darkness based on an Advent reflection by Christena Cleveland. As the dancing lights flickered through the broken pieces of glass surrounding the candles, Charly played a song for us that he's been listening to a lot this week. A song that he shared with our close friends across the ocean who are going through a very dark, difficult time in their marriage. Wondering if the shattered pieces can be put back together. If there is any life at all in a relationship that seems dead. 

This song breathes hope. And new life. And a story that's not finished yet.  
When we see wounded He sees mended:


by Matthew West

How many times can one heart break?
It was never supposed to be this way
Look in the mirror, but you find someone you never thought you'd be

Oh, but I can still recognize
The one I love in your tear stained eyes
I know you might not see him now, so lift your eyes to me

When you see broken beyond repair
I see healing beyond belief
When you see too far gone
I see one step away from home

When you see nothing but damaged goods
I see something good in the making
I'm not finished yet
When you see wounded, I see mended

You see your worst mistake
But I see the price I paid
There's nothing you could ever do, to lose what grace has won

So hold on, it's not the end
No, this is where love's work begins
I'm making all things new
And I will make a miracle of you

When you see broken beyond repair
I see healing beyond belief
When you see too far gone
I see one step away from home

When you see nothing but damaged goods
I see something good in the making
I'm not finished yet
When you see wounded, I see mended

I see my child, my beloved
The new creation you're becoming

You see the scars from when you fell
But I see the stories they will tell

You see worthless, I see priceless
You see pain, but I see a purpose
You see unworthy, undeserving
But I see you through eyes of mercy

When you see broken beyond repair
I see healing beyond belief
You're not too far gone
You're one step away from home

When you see nothing but damaged goods
I see something good in the making
I'm not finished yet, no
When you see wounded, I see mended

Ooh, I see mended
Woah, oh I see mended
I'm not finished yet
When you see wounded, I see mended

Beauty from ashes in God's gift of Advent. Waiting in anticipation. For the Healer, Messiah, Immanuel. The story He's writing through our lives doesn't end in darkness. 

Do you see the Light?

Jesus fulfilled the prophetic words of Isaiah: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord's favor has come." Luke 4:18-19

***************************************************************************
Linking up with Velvet Ashes this week on the Theme of Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...