Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Divine Silence

We arrived at our friends’ home, nestled in the majestic mountains of western China, completely unprepared. Grandmother opened the door for us, unable to hold back her tears. We followed her to the table where her daughter-in-law filled our tea cups and whispered their heartbreaking news, “Our son died three months ago.”

She then slipped out of the room to prepare food for us, while Grandmother returned to her bed at the end of the hall. We silently sipped our tea and let this news sink in; our hearts filled with grief.

One of the friends traveling with us encouraged me to comfort Grandmother whose muffled sobs echoed softly in the hallway. I reluctantly stood up, thinking, “I really don’t know what to say.” But as I slowly walked down the hall, I was reminded of Job’s friends who simply sat with him in his grief because “his suffering was too great for words.” (Job 2:13)

God, please help my presence be a comfort to her.


You can read the rest of the post here: http://www.incourage.me/2017/03/divine-silence.html

And if you're interested, you can sign up to receive free daily devotionals from incourage:  www.incourage.me/subscribe


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...