Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Who Said Returning Would Be Easy

If I could write a letter to my weary self in the spring of 2015, as I was surrounded by 20 years of our China life, packed in semi-sturdy fruit boxes from the market…

In that stressful season, when my sense of accomplishment each day was how many trash bags I could send down the trash chute from our 9th floor apartment. When my biggest dread every trip outside was discovering our rejected stuff in the overflowing trash heap—waiting for pick up by the Jingle Bells-playing trash truck–and then having second thoughts of maybe needing to rescue something that I might one day regret throwing away. When more than one person asked me if I needed someone to fly out to help me pack because they could see that I was not handling life all that well…

This is what I would write:

Dear self,

You need to let go of what you can’t keep. All of the memories and mementos will not fit in your well-worn suitcases or in the boxes that you’re shipping back...


You can read the rest of the letter by clicking over to Velvet Ashes:
https://velvetashes.com/who-said-returning-would-be-easy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...